Split ends are like cancer, which reduces the length and growth of your hair. After a level of hair split ends, the only option left with you is to cut it. Hair always adds to your beauty. For this, it is also very important for you to take care of it. If you are also troubled by this problem, then let us know how to get rid of split ends.
What are split ends?
As the name suggests, it is usually off at the end of your hair’s shafts (strands). But this isn’t always how things have to be to know how to get rid of split ends.. Any component, not just the ends, of that hair shaft, is capable of splitting. Once the hair starts splitting and you ignore it then it starts splitting in its way from anywhere. This slows down the rate at which your hair strands grow compared to other strands, causing uneven hair length.
Why does hair have split ends?
Due to many external and internal reasons, the cuticle of the hair roots gets damaged, due to which split ends occur, Because of its damage, the cuticle does not reflect light down the fiber as it used to. Hence people with split ends often complain of dull and lifeless hair. The damage to the smooth structure of your hair leads to the formation of knots in your hair, which leads to more breakage.
Major causes of split ends
- Dry hair
- Chemical Treatment
- Tie the hair securely or use a rough brush to brush it
- Access Heat Styling
- Pollution, chlorine, sunlight
How to fix hair split ends
1. Get Trim
It is often seen that due to split ends, your entire hair gets tangled. Due to this, there is also the problem of hair fall. Also, it reduces hair growth. In such a situation, ‘trimming’ of these hairs becomes necessary. Trimming anyway makes hair grow faster. If you don’t mind splitting ends too much, just one trim should be enough for you. You don’t need to get a trim every two months.
But, if you don’t like trimming at all, then you can get your hair dusting done by your hairstylist. Dusting the hair means cutting only a quarter of an inch from the ends of the hair. Which only looks like dust. Hence its name is dusting. But keep in mind that dusting is beneficial only if you have fewer split ends in your hair. If this is not the case, then you should get the trim done once. Get dusting done only after this.
2. Use a wide toothcomb
Do not run the comb through your hair vigorously. If you want your hair to be good, you better treat it well. Sometimes the knots lying in the hair can bother you, but pulling them will only increase the problem. The only way to fix them is to soften them.
To fix these knots, start brushing your hair from the bottom. Do not pull the comb straight down the head. Also, do not brush wet hair. You may find it nice to brush wet hair. But this weakens your hair. So, let them dry completely before starting the down-up brushing technique.
3. Get rid of your bad hair habits
1. Dry your hair gently. Avoid rubbing your hair when drying it with a towel. Just pat them by rubbing them lightly. If you want to tie up your wet hair, use a T-shirt instead of a towel.
2. Do not sleep with your hair tied in a ponytail or bun. This can pull out your already weak hair. Make a loose ponytail instead.
3. Don’t sleep with wet hair. Many times you would feel like falling asleep immediately after taking a hot shower at night. But by doing this your hair gets tangled as well as split ends. So dry your hair completely and tie them before sleeping.
4. Use a silk pillow cover. Cotton pillow covers tend to pull on your hair more because of the high fiber content. Silk pillow covers are good for your hair as well as your skin.
4. Oiling properly
Applying oil overnight is not suitable for everyone. Many people complain of excessive hair fall after applying oil to their hair overnight. Because applying oil for a long time blocks the hair follicles on your scalp. If applying oil overnight doesn’t help you, don’t do it. You can apply oil to the ends of your hair instead of your entire hair. Because split ends require deep conditioning through oiling. The best hydrating oils for hair are coconut oil, olive oil, argan oil, almond oil and jojoba oil.
5. Use heat tools sparingly on your hair
- Use tools on your hair only in a low-heat setting. Doing this will take you more time, but your hair will be safe. Apart from this, divide your hair into small parts and use tools on it. This reduces the risk of getting split ends.
- Use heat protectant spray. Even though they do not completely protect your hair from heat. But it still slows down the flow of heat from the device to your hair. This causes minimal damage to your hair.
Now that you know how to get rid of split ends cause and how to treat them, you’re all set for the healthiest hair ever! You can kick split ends to the curb before they take over your hair with the right hair care regimen.