Have you heard of Shirodhara Therapy? This therapy is employed in Ayurveda to lessen both physical and emotional stress. An Ayurvedic method for reducing stress and exhaustion is called Shirodhara. It relieves our tiredness and maintains our happiness. This treatment lowers mental tension by pouring oil or ghee on the patient’s head. In Ayurveda, Taking the benefits of Shirodhara therapy is considered very beneficial when there is stress. This therapy is considered very beneficial when there is stress. This therapy also helps in pacifying all three doshas namely Vata, Pitta & Kapha.
It is also beneficial in the problem of headaches and migraine. Knowing its benefits, would you also like to take this therapy? But can you do it at home? What are the other benefits you will get from this therapy? And how is it done?
What is Shirodhara Therapy?
Shirodhara therapy assists in the treatment of mental health issues. India has practiced Shirodhara for 5000 years. This Ayurvedic practice has a long history and is widely used today. Shirodhara combines the Sanskrit terms for head and body (flow). Moreover, It belongs to the Panchakarma phases. Shirodhara uses oil prepared from Ayurvedic herbs. You may also use milk or ghee for this. To keep mental serenity, it is done. Shirodhara is effective for easing stress and depression.
Benefits of Shirodhara
- It loosens the nerve and relieves tension
- Shirodhara benefits for hair as it ends the problems of dandruff. You can do this twice a month. This will also eliminate the issues of hair fall.
- This is one such technique in Ayurveda that helps in coping with migraine as well. It prevents migraine attacks.
- Brings the lost mind to one place and provides concentration to the mind.
- The benefits of Shirodhara also regenerate the face and soften lines. Due to this, the glow of the face increases.
- Removes the problem of insomnia. Shirodhara is very beneficial for those who are not able to sleep properly.
How is Shirodhara done?
In this particular method, a liquid made of oil, milk, or butter is filled in a solid metal vessel. After this Shirodhara is started. The fluid-filled vessel is poured into the forehead between the two eyebrows through a hole in the middle of the ball, providing coolness to your brain and relieving stress.
How Is Shirodhara Performed?
- Usually, the Shirodhara procedure comes after abhyanga. On the Shirodhara table, the client lies down with their eyes closed and covered.
- On the client’s forehead, a stream of lukewarm herbal infusion or oil is applied. The continual flow of oil causes vibrations on the forehead. After coating the forehead and scalp, the oil seeps deep into the neurological system. By expanding all of the channels, the oils used in this technique increase blood flow to the brain.
- You may thoroughly relax and rejuvenate thanks to the heated oil’s pressure and flow. The practitioner rotates the Dhara pot to keep the oil flowing continuously and rhythmically over your entire forehead.
- After completing the Dhara, the patient is given some time to relax before taking a hot water bath and having their hair cleansed.
- Depending on the patient’s condition, the length of the Shirodhara therapy might range from 30 to 60 minutes. It is advised to carry out the procedure under the supervision of a skilled therapist to prevent the oil from getting into your eyes or ears.
Shirodhara Often Uses the Following Oils
- Dhanwantharam Tailam
- Narayana Tailam
- Triphala Tailam
- Ksheera Bala Tailam
- Chandani Tailam
Product on saleGreen Apple Toner₹140.00 – ₹360.00
Types of Shirodhara
Takaharadhara:- Buttermilk is blended with unique herbs in Takra Dhara. The body’s capacity to retain internal stability despite changes in the external environment is known as homeostasis, and it helps balance the Pitta dosha.
Ksheer Dhara: – Ksheer Dhara is a milk-based dessert. The medicated milk is applied topically and is beneficial for reducing tension, anxiety, and headaches, which are common in Vata and Pitta bodies. It also nourishes and relaxes the body.
Kwathdhara: – Different herbal remedies are utilized in Kwathdhara. It is thought to be beneficial for various disorders as well as harmonizing the Vata and Kapha doshas.
Tailadhara:- Ayurvedic doctors recommend using herbal oils in Tailadhara by combining them with herbal extracts or various essential oils. This is useful for balancing the body’s Vata dosha.
Jala Dhara:- Coconut water or regular water is used. It is typically recommended in conditions where the body is overheating and causing illness.
Who Should Avoid Shirodhara therapy?
The benefits of Shirodhara are not recommended for persons who are 7 to 9 months pregnant or those with as well as for those who have a rash or sunburn on their scalp or forehead.
The therapy is also not advised for people who are allergic to oil, the therapy is also not advised.
Shirodhara should also be avoided in cases where there has been recent neck trauma, head injuries, brain tumors, chills or fever, nausea, extreme weakness, tiredness, fainting, acute sickness, or glaucoma.
What is Shirodhara Panchakarma? How is Shirodhara done? What are the benefits of Shirodhara? How to get rid of stress from Shirodhara? Does Shirodhara give peace of mind? If you also have such questions, this information will benefit you.
If you want to try it at home then you can. It also does not require special training. But when you are going to do it for the first time, then definitely know about its method. Apart from the method, you should also understand the substances used in it properly.